Monday, July 14, 2014

Around Here Recently

I have been absent from this little blog for too long - almost a month.I have so many things rolling around in my head that it's hard to focus. You see, this little blog has become one of my tools for getting out the many thoughts and ideas that float around in my head, my heart, and my soul. In combination with journaling prayer and art journaling, this little blog helps me collect those thoughts and put flesh to them, make them concrete. So now, after an absence that was much too long, I find myself overwhelmed by the many things that are going on inside of me. I think that is what has kept me from writing on this little blog over the past week - I couldn't narrow down my thoughts in a cohesive enough manner to write one single blog post. Last week I received an email note via Facebook from a follower of this little blog. (Thank you Pamm.) She simply asked if I was okay and that she missed my blog posts. I appreciated that note of encouragement.

So, in an attempt to collect my thoughts and get re-connected with this little blog and all of you, here is a little collection of what has gone on around here recently.

1. The last week in June our first group of kids went up to Youth Haven Ranch in Jackson, MI for summer camp. Youth Haven is a wonderful Christian ministry to disadvantaged children. Their staff is incredible at showing the kids God's love and making sure they have a great time at camp. It is a tradition that when Toledo kids are there for the week, we go up on Thursday night and serve ice cream sundaes to the staff and kids - 120 of them! We stay overnight, join them at chapel and then drive the kids back to Toledo on Friday afternoon. I love this drive home. I love to hear about what the kids learned about God during the week and about their favorite experiences at camp.

2. We were blessed the weekend after the kids went to camp with a visit from some of the camp staff. My ministry partner, Rox, and I and our husbands shared dinner with the team and hung out with them Saturday night. Then after church on Sunday we held a lunch for them and all of our kids who attend camp, plus all the volunteer drivers. Our kids had a blast having the Youth Haven team at church! I loved it too, but was exhausted! The team ranges in age from 19 to 24 and they have much more energy then I do!


3.The next week my daughter flew in on Wednesday night and we traveled to my sister's house for my nephew's wedding on July 4th. It was a great weekend with family. It was also a lot of work as they held the wedding and reception in my sister's backyard. It was a perfect setting for a wedding and the weather cooperated wonderfully!


After the weekend I had to take my daughter back to the airport in Detroit. I have been putting her on planes since she was about 8 when her dad moved to Florida. It isn't any easier now that she is 34. I miss having her live close to me.

4. The next weekend was an 80th birthday celebration for my father-in-law at our local AAA baseball team's stadium ~ the Mud Hens. My father-in-law loves baseball so whole family gathered there for dinner and the ball game. Then the next day there was a bridal shower for my sister-in-law. Good times with family! Plus I had to squeeze in a fishing rodeo the church sponsors with the City of Toledo. Busy weekend!




So, that has been my life recently. A lot of activity and celebrations with family in addition to the everyday goings-on in work, ministry and life. My next post will catch up on art and my creative life.

How has your summer been filled so far?


No comments:

Post a Comment